The Forums of Avalon: the First Age
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role Play.

4 posters

Go down

Role Play. Empty Role Play.

Post  Gareth Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:00 pm

Does role play actually exist anymore in First Age?

I choose to play this realm because I love role playing games but I have found some use it as a glorified chat room.

So far since I have been playing this most seem to stick to some form of "role" in the realm but others really kill the game with their OOC bullshit.

Today for example I overheard an interesting conversion betwenn an Enchanter and a Loremaster. The Enchanter seemed to stay in character for most part of the conversation but then started to talk OOC and not only that but trying to spread false rumours about me being a second character of another. I am fed up of this person constantly trying to spread lies about me and it is getting to the stage where I am trying to decide if I will stay on in the realm or leave. I can put up with the fighting and so on but people trying to cause trouble for me by spreading this rubbish gets on my nerves and lowers the tone of the game for me.

So basically do we not all think it's in the best interest of the game to keep in character at all times? Should we be saying stuff like what I overheard in this conversation, "I must be off for a toilet break and then diaper duty"? I'm loving this realm so far and looking foward to the future but not if people like this are going to lower the tone of the game for everyone
Gareth
Gareth
Peasant

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-03-08

Back to top Go down

Role Play. Empty Re: Role Play.

Post  Thorongil Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:42 pm

You will often come across people like this who like to talk out of character in the realm. The best thing to do is to just ignore them. The God's frown upon people who talk out of character and I'm sure in the future with so few people in the realm we could probably see them cracking down on it to preserve the feel of the game.

My best advice to you would be to stick with what ever role you have chosen and follow it through. If you come across people who like to talk out of character just pretend you have no clue what they refer to or just leave their location and don't talk to them. With people spreading stuff about you there nothing much you can do about that. Most in the realm don't pay any attention to people who bad mouth or spread rumour's about people. You will normally find people who like to spread rumours are the one's who don't fight that much or who are no good at it. Just ignore them.

In my opinion those who stay in character all the time are the one's who really make the realm what it is. Become one of these people and ignore those who only bring themselves down by talking out of character in the realm.
Thorongil
Thorongil
Nobleman/Noblewoman

Number of posts : 143
Whereabouts : Ireland
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Bodhin Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:21 pm

I'm the only enchanter active in the land and I have aired no allegations nor heard any, so I would say you have misunderstood something. Hardly surprising, because something the TWO of you have in common, Gareth and Thorongil, is that you take offense and jump to extraordinary conclusions about other players at light speed.

Maybe, I don't know, wild guess, talk to people with whom you have a dispute...?

By the way, Gareth, you got me good the other day. I'm embarrassed to have let my guard down but that's my fault.
Bodhin
Bodhin
Baron (Parrius)

Number of posts : 116
Whereabouts : Leaf Lane, Parrius
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Gareth Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:23 am

Thanks for the advice. I had a good chat with Lord Diomedes last night and from my talk with him it has made me look forward to the future of the realm. I suppose the only things I have control of are how I play my character. I will just ignore those who talk OOC and not let it worry me so much.

To Bodhin, I actually find it funny when you always seem to try turn things around as if you have done nothing wrong. I heard you say to Dante, "I don't think Gareth will be moving around much while Thorongil is on, if you get my drift". Forgive me if I took this to mean you were once again trying to spread that I am a second of Thorongil's.

I thank you for your compliment on my attack on you. I am still trying to figure out what you meant by "playing the lw" to get the kill on you but hey I am happy enough that what ever I did worked. The attack itself was for revenge. I know we both started off on the wrong foot. I have my opinions of you based on your interactions with me and your have your opinions on me based on your dislike for Thorongil. There is nothing much I can do to change this. I am who I am and just because I stand up for myself when someone bigger tries to push me around does not mean I am being disrespectful. I would like to continue on in this game and would appreciate it if you would stop spreading false rumours about me. I can make my own enemies thank you without you helping out. This is the second maybe third time I have asked you to stop so I would appreciate if you would listen.

Gareth
Gareth
Peasant

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Mysterin Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:57 am

I think it a little depends on a player to player basis. With my acquaintances or players I have not met before, I'm strictly in my "role". However, after you have played a game for 2+ years, you have often come to know players outside of their role - be it through this forum, an instant messenger, facebook, email or what have you. Sometimes the realm does become a little chat room, and when a character has fallen asleep standing up mid conversation, I am a little curious as to where their brain went.

I don't think that accusing a player of being/having a second is necessarily "out of game" talk. It's unfortunate that false accusations happen so much, but it's sort of expected in a realm as small as ours. If you have a second, I believe that it needs to be completely distinguished, there should be no room for false accusations to occur. If you're not playing two drastically different characters, and if you are using information obtained from one character to use it to the other character's advantage, then you are breaking some rules of the game.
Mysterin
Mysterin
Baron (Parrius)

Number of posts : 278
Whereabouts : Middle Street, Parrius
Registration date : 2007-03-25

http://www.lizzydavisphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Thorongil Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:47 am

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I once said that Gareth and someone else, I can't remember who, was a second of mine. I was in the Mages guild with Stray and Borrak had a bug rune on one of us so we thought we would have a little fun with him. I didn't think it would be taken seriously but who knows what some will believe.

I certainly would not like someone picking on a character in the realm because they thought it was me and if it is down to what I said then I'm sorry Gareth if I have caused you any problems.

I personally would not go around telling everyone or posting it on a forum that I believed such a person was a second of another. It's a pointless exercise and achieves nothing. I don't understand for the life of me why someone would do it. If someone has a second and is abusing that character for the benefit of the other then yes as Mysterin stated this is breaking the rules. If someone has a second character and they play this character properly then this can add to the game, it says so in the help file. There are ways to report people abusing second characters to the God's and have them handle it and this is the correct way to go about it. Throwing wild accusations around without proof can be harmfull if you get it wrong.

The best thing to do is if you believe someone has a second and they are abusing this second to benefit themselves then report them to the God's. Be sure you have real proof that this person is a second and breaking the rules. If you can't prove it then keep it to yourself, there is nothing against having a second after all. If you get it wrong then you could be subjecting someone new to the realm to abuse or attacks which they do not deserve.

We all need to be a little bit more responcible people. Last thing we want is to falsely accuse someone and have them leave the realm.
Thorongil
Thorongil
Nobleman/Noblewoman

Back to top Go down

Post  Bodhin Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:22 pm

Gareth wrote:To Bodhin, I actually find it funny when you always seem to try turn things around as if you have done nothing wrong. I heard you say to Dante, "I don't think Gareth will be moving around much while Thorongil is on, if you get my drift". Forgive me if I took this to mean you were once again trying to spread that I am a second of Thorongil's.

You are forgiven. If I were still convinced you were a second, I would use the ACCUSE function and leave it at that. What Bodhin was referring to -- and had made reference to earlier in the conversation, don't know if you were listening at that point -- is that Thorongil is someone who has come to your defense previously, back when our characters were merely arguing. (This was also tied in with Bodhin's amazement that Thorongil had been accepted as a Merc citizen again.) So maybe you just weren't listening in on the whole conversation.

As for the "LW trick," I was referring to our conversation when you were in disguise, and I asked if you were new to the land, and you nodded. It's a very old thief trick and I'm embarrassed to have fallen for it, but I was lazy and there you have it. Fair and square: I wasn't prepared and you got me. So take a compliment! Not everything has to be a fekkin' battle, kid.
Bodhin
Bodhin
Baron (Parrius)

Back to top Go down

Post  Thorongil Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:05 am

Here is a suggestion, why don't both of you settle things in the realm. Kill each other a few times and get it over and done with.
Thorongil
Thorongil
Nobleman/Noblewoman

Back to top Go down

Post  Mysterin Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:20 am

^ If only everything was that easy. Haha
Mysterin
Mysterin
Baron (Parrius)

Number of posts : 278
Whereabouts : Middle Street, Parrius
Registration date : 2007-03-25

http://www.lizzydavisphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bodhin Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:45 pm

Thorongil wrote:Here is a suggestion, why don't both of you settle things in the realm. Kill each other a few times and get it over and done with.

*Ahem* Good advice starts with oneself...
Bodhin
Bodhin
Baron (Parrius)

Back to top Go down

Post  Thorongil Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:42 am

Ok, I'll start with you.

*Just a Joke by the way*

Last edited by Thorongil on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total