The Forums of Avalon: the First Age
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Triggers

2 posters

Go down

Triggers Empty Triggers

Post  Axel Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:12 pm

Just a random comment, as it seems to be quite commonplace now for people to spam emotes in an attempt to fire someone's triggers.

If, when you make ANY triggers at all (this also works for color and echo triggers), you put a small ^ sign before you put in the PATTERN, then it will only fire if this text STARTS a line of your prompt.

i.e. I have a trigger to examine a blind rune when my sight is restored via mage dazzle, and I trigger the text 'Your sight is restored' as follows :

Pattern : ^Your sight is restored

Value : bl (alias for going blind)

This will ensure that any emotes or says or anything (except far image) will never fire a trigger, because they will always have something before the actual text, such as 'someone' or their name if it's an emote.

Axel
Peasant

Number of posts : 7
Whereabouts : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Triggers Empty Re: Triggers

Post  Tauria Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:42 pm

Follow that with $ for a fully anchored trigger.

Anchoring is the process of ensuring your trigger ONLY ever fires on the EXACT line. The ^ [carrot] stops anything going before setting it off. The $ [dollar sign] makes certain that anything afterwards won't set it off either.

eg:

#tr {Your blindness is broken by * candescent lights.} {Blind}

this will fire on anything that matched the above PATTERN (the bit in the first brackets), no matter what comes before or after. People can randomly emote and it'll go off - also if they spell it wrong or end it wrong!

#tr {^Your blindness is broken by * candescent lights.} {blind}

anything going before will make thing trigger not work, eg an emote. Anything afterwards, however, eg a typo, another attempt to set off triggers, etc, will still set it off

#tr {^Your blindness is broken by * candecent lights.$} {blind}

Safest form of a trigger! Only that EXACT phrase sets it off.
Tauria
Tauria
Commoner

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2007-07-02

Back to top Go down