The Forums of Avalon: the First Age
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unstable Personalities

3 posters

Go down

Unstable Personalities Empty Unstable Personalities

Post  Bodhin Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:58 pm

Last night I once again had cause to reflect on the issue of out-of-character verbal abuse.

In my little time here, I have seen four players engage in a kind of verbal abuse that clearly expanded beyond player-to-player competition or role-play into the territory of angry-person-at-their-keyboard profanity and verbal abuse.

Last night was unique in that I was the object of it. Ironically, the person so enraged that they had to call me "faggot" and a number of another names is a player twice my size or perhaps more, whom I cannot kill, and who had actually shipped me multiple times and brought me down four levels in health. Clearly, the one who had suffered damage was me - but no, not me, my character in the game. *I* sat at my keyboard with a glass of wine having a merry time with my hobby.

This player had himself been shipped several times by another player, so I suppose there was some transference of frustration going on. I had feebled him and made him drop a couple of potions in the course of his killing me multiple times. He picked his potion back up and proceeded to kill me, show me his ability to strip me while keeping me unconscious, and then proceed with some pretty creepy tells that revealed a rather dark personality. I tried to sidestep the rage and just remind the player that this is a game.

When I remarked about this to Diomedes, he said it used to be more widespread and more disturbing, and he told me one story that made my hair stand on end.

This is why I do not reveal my details about my real life in the game, and discourage others from doing so. There are some sick people out in internet-land, and some of them, it seems, like to play Avalon, too.
Bodhin
Bodhin
Baron (Parrius)

Number of posts : 116
Whereabouts : Leaf Lane, Parrius
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Unstable Personalities Empty Re: Unstable Personalities

Post  illeism Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:19 pm

Bodhin wrote:
When I remarked about this to Diomedes, he said it used to be more widespread and more disturbing, and he told me one story that made my hair stand on end.

Now I'd love to hear that story!
illeism
illeism
Nobleman/Noblewoman

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2007-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Bodhin Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:30 am

Let's just say that a female player chose to reveal something very personal and painful about herself, it spread around Avalon, and some players teamed her and used emotes to invoke the horrible painful RL experience. They found this funny.
Bodhin
Bodhin
Baron (Parrius)

Number of posts : 116
Whereabouts : Leaf Lane, Parrius
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Thorongil Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:37 am

Aye, I am aware of that story also. There are some really sick people out there alright and I try when I can to remind people to play in character so that something like that can never happen again. In the past we had a lot of powerful people in the land who knew they could do what they want to you in game an most would resort to any tatic to make your life a living hell while playing the "game". It is up to each one of us to remind people to stay in character when we can as this makes the place a whole lot better for us all but also prevents people learning personnal stuff which they can use.
Thorongil
Thorongil
Nobleman/Noblewoman

Number of posts : 143
Whereabouts : Ireland
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: